[R-meta] SMD from three-level nested design (raw data available)

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wolfg@ng@viechtb@uer @ending from m@@@trichtuniver@ity@nl
Wed Dec 19 10:25:15 CET 2018

Catching up on some older posts.

1) The transformations of a log odds ratio to a standardized mean difference (measures "OR2DN" and "OR2DL" in escalc()) are quite simple. For OR2DN, it is essentially:

yi <- lnori / 1.65
vi <- selnori^2 / 1.65^2

where lnori is the log odds ratio and selnori the corresponding standard error. So, you basically can just take the coefficient from the generalized mixed-effects model (which *is* a log odds ratio, assuming you fitted a logistic mixed-effects model) and its SE and plug those into these equations. The SE of the coefficient already incorporates the additional source of variability due to the nested structure of the data (assuming you include appropriate variance components in the mixed-effects model to reflect the nesting). One could debate whether the logic underlying this transformation is still applicable when the data have a nested structure, but I think this approach is defensible.

2) If I understand you correctly, you are considering the following case: A dichotomous variables (which we consider a dichotomized version of a latent continuous variable) and a continuous variable are measured in a group of subjects and there is again nesting. The question is how to estimate the correlation between the latent continuous variable and the observed continuous variable based on such multilevel data. So, the data structure would be:

group  subject  outcome  y
1      1        dich     1
1      1        cont     5
1      2        dich     0
1      2        cont     2
1      3        dich     1
1      3        cont     4

so two rows of data per subject. First of all, modeling such data jointly is not straightforward, because you need two different types of models for the two outcomes (e.g., logistic or probit for the dichotomous variable and normal for the continuous variable). You would need to look into what are sometimes called 'joint models', such as:

https://cran.r-project.org/package=merlin

Then one needs to allow for correlation between the two outcomes. Finally, one would really need to allow for correlation between the latent continuous variable and the observed continuous variable, so this might require specifying a model with latent variables (so, a joint model with latent variables). Implementing something like this would be a rather interesting exercise, but might actually be breaking some novel ground. So, I can only say that conceptually this should be possible, but I do not know of any solutions 'out of the box'. Maybe merlin can actually do this, but I haven't looked into this.