[R-meta] Nonlinear meta-regression

Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP) wolfg@ng@viechtb@uer @ending from m@@@trichtuniver@ity@nl
Wed Dec 19 09:47:43 CET 2018

An example of using cubic splines can be found here:

https://stats.stackexchange.com/a/280119/1934

But if you want a 'truly' non-linear model (i.e., non-linear in the parameters), then metafor doesn't do that. Code to fit non-linear models has passed through this list, but it would require adapting/tweaking depending on the model you want to fit (e.g., in this case, it seems you would want something curvilinear for low values of x and an upper asymptote for high values of x).

From: R-sig-meta-analysis [mailto:r-sig-meta-analysis-bounces using r-project.org] On Behalf Of Michael Dewey
Sent: Tuesday, 18 December, 2018 12:47
To: Cesar Terrer Moreno; r-sig-meta-analysis using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-meta] Nonlinear meta-regression

Dear César

I would have to say that based purely on the plot and given the sparsity
of points for high levels of phosphorus I would not see quite what you
see. However if on theoretical grounds you are expecting a ceiling then
fine.

If you want to fit a model which is non-linear in the variables then you
just enter the transformed predictors as moderators. So this would apply
if you wanted a polynomial or splines ir some form of segmented fit for
phosphorus. If you want a model which is non-linear in the parameters
like some form of exponential then that lies outside what I know how to
do but someone else will doubtless chip in.

Michael