[R-meta] Analyzing how response ratios of different outcomes co-vary among study

Gabriele Midolo g@briele@midolo @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Aug 8 10:12:33 CEST 2018

Dear Wolfgang,

Thank you very much for the info and sorry for proposing a 'frequently
asked question'.
When reading at your piece on Berkey et al. (1998), I think the part I am
more interested about is the "Variance component" part of the model output
that provides rho values and gives a correlation among the outcomes. As
indeed the correlation between the different traits is not provided by
primary studies I assume that doing a multivariate approach as described in
Lajeunesse (1998) might be impossible (i.e. I don't have the 'v2i' term of
covariance?)...

For this reason in my research I am firstly looking at the leaf traits as
separate entities, e.g. a separate dataset for each trait, performing a
meta-regression measuring the rate of change depending on climate and
altitduinal change (pharaphs this is good to be mentioned in a manuscript
eventually, motivating why a multivariate approach was not used?). As a
secondary goal of my paper/research I would just like to show/see if
studies  e.g. reporting an increase in leaf mass also report an decrease in
leaf size and vice versa, to observe if there are common patterns among
leaf traits change in studies reporting multiple traits.
Thereby I don't need a precise estimation of their relationship, just
explore if there is a general signal of a relationship. That's why I
adopted in the first instance the ranged major axis (RMA) approach. Maybe a
simple correlation matrix of the lnRR could be enough to achieve this
goal...?

Cheers,
Gabri