[R-meta] Fixed vs Random Effects

Célia Sofia Moreira celiasofiamoreira at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 14:00:08 CEST 2018

Dear Professor Michael Dewey,

Thank you very much for your helpful comments. I really appreciate your
attention. I just didn't understand the meaning of "Point 1 is indeed
true". We know that fixed effects models give more weight to larger
studies. But do you think this is correct? That is, do you think that
weights' distribution in fixed-effects is better/fairer than weights'
distribution in random-effects modelling?

Also, don't weights in random effects modelling also take into account the
sample size [although not as strongly (proportionally) as in fixed-effects
modelling]?

Kind regards,
 celia