[R-meta] Quick question about the metafor package: log-odds with rma()

Flávio Azevedo falafla at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 16:26:22 CEST 2017

Dear Dr. Wolfgang Viechtbauer,

I am a Ph.D. candidate at Cologne University and I am conducting a
mini-meta analysis (within paper effects) of log-odds ensuing from 4
studies of a given DV on a set of continuous and categorical covariates.
All models are equal across the 4 studies.

Given this, in R, I am using the metafor function rma(yi, vi, ...) where
yi=estimates of log-odds, and vi=standard errors ensuing from the glm
models, using the Hartung-Knapp correction. And I would like to know if
using log-odds as effect size estimates is appropriate.

My question stems from the simplicity of this approach, which in statistics
is almost never the case. Thank you very much for your time and work on
this,

All the best,

\Flavio Azevedo