[R-meta] multilevel meta-analysis using metafor

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Sep 6 18:33:44 CEST 2017

As I just mentioned in another post, in models with more complex random effects structures, there are not just weights, but an entire weight matrix. For example, in the model you fitted below, the marginal var-cov matrix is block diagonal with vi + sigma^2_sample_nr + sigma^2_effect_nr along the diagonal and sigma^2_sample_nr for off diagonal elements that correspond to the same level of that factor. The weight matrix is then the inverse of that marginal var-cov matrix. If the sampling errors had been independent, then this would be the 'best' weight matrix (in the sense of giving you the most efficient estimates of the fixed effects and giving you appropriate estimates of the standard errors) and there would then be no need for any further adjustments, manually or statistically.

In your case, the sampling errors are correlated, but you are fitting the model with V=vi, that is, assuming a diagonal V matrix. That will lead to less efficient but still unbiased estimates of the fixed effects, but invalid estimates of the standard errors, and hence the need for using robust(model, cluster=data$sample_nr). But this doesn't actually change the weight matrix; it only affects the way the var-cov matrix of the fixed effects is computed and hence the computation of the standard errors. So, also here there is no need to manually adjust any weights.

And yes, *all else equal*, studies with more effect sizes are weighted more than studies with less effect sizes. Let me put this in a different way: A study providing more evidence about the phenomenon under investigation is getting more weight than a study providing less evidence. That seems pretty sensible to me.