[R-meta] Different results for tests of funnel plot asymmetry using R package meta and metafor

Guido Schwarzer sc at imbi.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Nov 30 11:33:27 CET 2017

Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you for the explanations and the R code. I did not know that using
argument /test/ in rma.uni() has any influence on the test for
funnelplot asymmetry. AFAICS, the help pages of rma.uni() and regtest()
do not describe this feature.

Concerning the use of a standard normal or t-distribution, I think the
behavior of metabias() is more consistent as the classic Egger test
(/method = "linreg"/) and the Thompson-Sharp test (/method = "mm"/) only
differ in their weights: 1 / seTE^2 versus 1 / (seTE^2 + tau2).

This said, I think it would be interesting to evaluate the properties of
the Knapp-Hartung variant of the regression test for funnel plot asymmetry.

Best wishes,
Guido