[R-meta] Implementation of the Inverse variance heterogeneity model

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Nov 30 11:09:15 CET 2017

As far as I am concerned, discussions around the pros and cons of various methods are perfectly fine, esp. if they are directly linked to implementations in R.

So, we are considering two methods:

1) A random-effects model with the standard 1/(vi + tau^2) weights (where vi is the sampling variance of the ith study and tau^2 the (estimated) amount of variance/heterogeneity in the true outcomes)

versus

2) A random-effects model with 1/vi weights.

Under the assumptions of the RE model and in the absence of publication bias, both approaches provide an unbiased estimate of the average true outcome. Approach 1 is more efficient; in fact, using 1/(vi + tau^2) weights gives us the uniformly minimum variance unbiased estimator (UMVUE).

Sidenote: To be precise, that is only true if tau^2 would be a known quantity and not estimated (and similarly, the sampling variances must be known quantities). So, really, we are only getting an approximation to the UMVUE. The larger k (number of studies) is, the more appropriate it is to treat tau^2 as a known quantity. The larger the within-study sample sizes are, the more appropriate it is to treat the sampling variances as known quantities (but what 'large' means here depends a lot on the outcome measure used; for measures based on a variance-stabilizing transformation, even rather small within-study sample sizes will do).

Things become complicated when there is publication bias, that it, when the probability of including a study in our meta-analysis is tied to the statistical significance of the finding/outcome. In that case, large studies (with very small sampling variances) will provide less biased estimates than small studies (with very large sampling variances). Now if tau^2 is very large, then tau^2 dominates the 1/(vi + tau^2) weights, so that all studies get almost the same weight, and hence also the very small studies that are so biased. As a result, the estimate of the average true outcome will also be badly biased. If, instead, we use 1/vi weights, then the very small studies are downweighted a lot and don't screw up our estimate as much.

That is in essence what Henmi and Copas (2010) have shown. They also derived a method to compute the SE/CI for approach 2, which is implemented in the hc() function in metafor. To go back to the earlier example:

library(metafor)

dat <- get(data(dat.li2007))
dat <- dat[order(dat$study),]
rownames(dat) <- 1:nrow(dat)
dat <- escalc(measure="OR", ai=ai, n1i=n1i, ci=ci, n2i=n2i, data=dat, subset=-c(19,21,22))

### standard RE model
res <- rma(yi, vi, data=dat, method="DL")
predict(res, transf=exp, digits=2)

### Henmi & Copas (2010) method
hc(res, transf=exp, digits=2)

### RE model with 1/vi weights ("IVhet")
res <- rma(yi, vi, data=dat, method="DL", weights=1/vi)
predict(res, transf=exp, digits=2)

Interestingly, the H&C method gives a MUCH wider CI here. Usually though, the difference between the H&C method and the "rma(yi, vi, data=dat, method="DL", weights=1/vi)" approach ("IVhet") is rather small.

I gave a talk at the 2016 meeting of the Society for Research Synthesis Methodology about this topic. The slides are here in case you are interested:

http://www.wvbauer.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/talks:2016_viechtbauer_srsm_weights.pdf

In the simulation, I also compared the H&C method with the "IVhet" approach (not shown in the slides) and found that the H&C approach did just a tad better, but not by much. A disadvantage of the H&C approach is that it doesn't generalize to models with moderators (meta-regression).