[R-meta] Implementation of the Inverse variance heterogeneity model

James Pustejovsky jepusto at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 21:01:47 CET 2017

I was just typing up an email saying the same thing (and using the same
example), but Wolfgang beat me to the punch! So count it as independently
replicated. I would add two things:

1. An alternative to the IVhet method is to use the FE model with robust
variance estimation (Sidik & Jonkman, 2006) to account for between-study
heterogeneity when estimating standard errors. This can be done with the
clubSandwich package (though you'll have to do the scale transformation as
a post-processing step):

### standard FE model
res <- rma(yi, vi, data=dat, method="FE")
library(clubSandwich)
coef_test(res, vcov = "CR2", cluster = dat$id)

In this example, the robust standard error is *substantially* smaller than
the IVhet standard error. It also has very low degrees of freedom because
of the very unequal weighting of the studies.

2. In the conventional random effects model, the Knapp-Hartung method is
often recommended for testing the average treatment effect:

### standard RE model with Knapp-Hartung
res <- rma(yi, vi, data=dat, method="DL", test = "knha")
predict(res, transf=exp, digits=2)

I don't know if there is research into the relative performance of
Knapp-Hartung with inverse-sampling variance weights (anybody know of work
on this?), but on the face of it, it seems reasonable to generalize based
on its performance under conventional RE models:

### RE model with 1/vi weights ("IVhet")
res <- rma(yi, vi, data=dat, method="DL", weights=1/vi, test = "knha")
predict(res, transf=exp, digits=2)

James