[R-meta] Syntax of rma.mv for random part of the model

Gabriele Midolo gabriele.midolo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 12:43:25 CET 2017

Hi all,
I am performing a  meta-analysis similar to the example reported in
Konstantopoulos
(2011) presented in metafor website
<http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/analyses:konstantopoulos2011>.

I am using the following structure for the random part (1 |
Experiment/nadd) where "nadd" represent the different levels of nutrient
applied in each experiments.
My reviewers also suggested me to account for the individual species
considered across studies.
I was therefore tryng to explore a model with this type of structure:

res<- rma.mv(yi,vi,random =~(1 |Experiment/nadd + 1|Species), data=dat)

But this give me some kind of error:

"Error in 1 | Species : operations are possible only for numeric, logical
or complex types"

which I believe it's a syntax error, am I right?

Thanks,
Gabriele