[R-meta] Recommendations on quantifying heterogeneity in three-level meta-regression

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Nov 16 21:38:06 CET 2017

Hi Jens,

Maybe Mike can also chime in here, but I don't think metaSEM and metafor do anything fundamentally different here. Consider this example:

library(metafor)
library(metaSEM)

dat <- get(data(dat.konstantopoulos2011))
dat$year <- dat$year - 1976

res0 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, random = ~ 1 | district/school, data=dat, method="ML")
res0

res1 <- rma.mv(yi, vi, mods = ~ year, random = ~ 1 | district/school, data=dat, method="ML")
res1

### pseudo R^2 values
round(max(0, (res0$sigma2[1] - res1$sigma2[1]) / res0$sigma2[1]), 4) ### level 3
round(max(0, (res0$sigma2[2] - res1$sigma2[2]) / res0$sigma2[2]), 4) ### level 2

res2 <- meta3(yi, vi, x=year, cluster=district, data=dat)
summary(res2)

It takes a bit of time to match things up, but you will find that the results are pretty much the same.

I agree with Mike that one needs to be cautious about computing 'I^2-like' measures for such models. The code on the metafor website (i.e., http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:i2_multilevel_multivariate#multilevel_models) is pretty much a logical extension of one way of how I^2 can be computed for standard RE models and it is there because I have received many questions on how to compute I^2 for more complex models, but there is no consensus yet as to how this should be done. Heck, there isn't even consensus on how to compute I^2 for standard RE models!

Also, the interpretation of I^2-like measures computed based on models that include moderators/predictors is somewhat nebulous (to the point that one could question whether it is even useful to compute such things).

Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician | Department of Psychiatry and
Neuropsychology | Maastricht University | P.O. Box 616 (VIJV1) | 6200 MD
Maastricht, The Netherlands | +31 (43) 388-4170 | http://www.wvbauer.com