[R-meta] Fwd: meta analysis package "metafor" --- one group survival outcome?

Hong Zhao zhao0504 at umn.edu
Wed Jun 28 04:25:33 CEST 2017

Dear all,

I have a question for R package "metafor". On page 35 of the package file,
I saw the meta-analysis for a two sample survival analysis, does anyone
know whether I can use this package to do one-sample survival analysis?

Here is what I have: three 3 studies with all the survival information
(time to event and censor information). I want to combine the survival
rates (KM estimates) at 6 months for these 3 studies using meta-analysis.
Since the survival rates are not normally distributed and I cannot just
simply treat them as proportions to use meta-analysis method for normal
data or proportion data, I am not sure whether I can just transform them
using log(survival rate) (and get their variance accordingly) and use
meta-analysis for normal data. Does anyone know a better way to do it? Or
can the package perform the meta-analysis for a single group survival
outcome?

BTW, does anyone know any method for sample size calculation for
meta-analysis (outcome is one-sample binomial or survival outcome as I
mentioned above)? I want to perform non-inferiority test, but did not find
anything available from online for meta-analysis sample size
calculation for either binomial or survival outcome. I guess I may need to
just do simulation if there is no available sources.

Thanks so much for your kind help!

Best!