[R-meta] Forest plot and sub-networks in netmeta

Gerta Rücker ruecker at imbi.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jul 28 11:41:43 CEST 2017

Dear Carla,

The help file of the function forest.meta shows that the size of these
boxes (there called squares) is proportional to the study weights (that
may be inverse variances or may be determined otherwise, see argument
weight.study) or (for netmeta) comparison weights. The width of these
squares has no precise meaning, they can be interpreted only relatively
to each other: A study / comparison with greater weight obtains a bigger
square:

weight.study: A character string indicating weighting used to determine
          size of squares or diamonds (argument ‘type.study’) to plot
          individual study results. One of missing, ‘"same"’,
          ‘"fixed"’, or ‘"random"’, can be abbreviated. Plot symbols
          have the same size for all studies or represent study weights
          from fixed effect or random effects model.

The colours of the square have merely practical meaning: The default
colour of the square is gray, and the default colour of the confidence
interval is black. If the study has large weight, the square may become
wider than the confidence interval, and then the confidence interval
(the "cross") becomes white. The square can also be so small that it
looks like a vertical line.

All these colours and properties may be changed by corresponding
arguments, such as col.square, col.square.lines, squaresize. See
help(forest.meta).

Best,
Gerta