[R-meta] Calculating variances and z transformation for tetrachoric, biserial correlations?

James Pustejovsky jepusto at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 23:01:12 CEST 2017

Mark,

I do not know the specifics of how metafor makes these calculations, but I
will offer the following:

   1. The variance of the statistic (whether r or z) depends on the
   sampling design from which it was collected. So for instance, the variance
   of the tetrachoric correlation will typically differ from the variance of
   the Pearson correlation, and both will differ from the variance of the
   point biserial correlation. This is as should be expected because each of
   these statistics uses progressively more detailed information about the
   underlying distribution.
   2. If you have the variance of the r estimates, you can convert them
   using Fisher's z transformation and then calculate the sampling variance of
   z using the delta method. If V^r is the variance of the r estimate, then
   the variance of z(r) is V^z = V^r / [(1 - r^2)^2].
   3. Application of the z transformation to the point biserial correlation
   is complicated by the possibility that r_{pbs} estimates can be larger than
   1 in absolute value. See the reference below for more detailed discussion
   and one possible solution.
   4. In the reference below, I argued that it is important to consider
   whether it makes theoretical sense to combine evidence across different
   sampling designs. For example, I don't think it is sensible to
   combine biserial correlation estimates based on data from between-groups
   randomized experiments with Pearson correlation estimates from purely
   observational studies. This is because the two parameters represent
   different types of relationships: the former being a causal relationship
   arising from manipulating one of the variables, the other being a purely
   descriptive/correlational relationship. Similarly, tetrachoric correlations
   can arise from either an experimental design, in which one variable is
   manipulated, and the other, dichotomous variable observed as the outcome,
   or from an observational design, in which both variables are
   dichotomizations of a continuous latent construct.

Cheers,
James

Pustejovsky, J. E. (2014). Converting from d to r to z when the design uses
extreme groups, dichotomization, or experimental control. *Psychological
Methods*, *19*(1), 92–112. DOI: 10.1037/a0033788