[R-meta] Meta-analysis with proportion and mean data

Wolfgang Viechtbauer wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Wed Aug 30 14:22:11 CEST 2017

Please keep the mailing list in cc.

What you describe is a 'phylogenetic meta-analysis'. See, for example:

Adams, D. C. (2008). Phylogenetic meta-analysis. Evolution, 62(3), 567-572.

Lajeunesse, M. J. (2009). Meta-analysis and the comparative phylogenetic
method. The American Naturalist, 174(3), 369-381.

Nakagawa, S., & Santos, E. S. A. (2012). Methodological issues and
advances in biological meta-analysis. Evolutionary Ecology, 26(5),
1253-1274.

And yes, that can be done with the rma.mv() function. And yes, you would
need to have a phylogeny for the species that you are dealing with,
which in turn can be turned into a covariance/correlation matrix under
certain assumptions (e.g., a Brownian motion model for trait evolution).

Reading help(rma.mv) is a start. I do not currently have a nice dataset
to illustrate this, but you can find an example (a rather complicated
one with two phylogenies) described here:

http://www.metafor-project.org/doku.php/tips:speeding_up_model_fitting#complex_models

You can simplify this to a single phylogeny.

The 'ape' package allows you to work with phylogenies (and can convert
them to correlation matrices).

Wolfgang Viechtbauer, Ph.D., Statistician | Department of Psychiatry and
Neuropsychology | Maastricht University | P.O. Box 616 (VIJV1) | 6200 MD
Maastricht, The Netherlands | +31 (43) 388-4170 | http://www.wvbauer.com