[R-meta] Plotting rstandard and rstudent values from cluster

Martineau, Roger Roger.Martineau at AGR.GC.CA
Fri Aug 18 16:08:11 CEST 2017

Dear metafor users,

I downloaded the data set (i.e., p154-dataset.csv) from  Assinka and Wibbelink (2016) available from http://www.tqmp.org/RegularArticles/vol12-3/p154/p154.pdf

The model is:
> multiplemoderator <- rma.mv(y, v, mods = ~ pyear + typeovert + typecovert,
+                             random =list(~ 1 | effectsizeID, ~ 1 | studyID),
+                             tdist=TRUE, data=dataset)

To plot standardized residuals, I do:

> #### STD residuals ###
> par(mfrow=c(1,1))
> plot(fitted(multiplemoderator), rstandard(multiplemoderator)$z, pch=19)
> abline(h=0)
> which(rstandard(multiplemoderator)$z > 3)
integer(0)

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D31803.E115D7F0]

Recently, Dr Viechtbauer reported the following:

By the way, there is now also rstudent() for 'rma.mv' objects (also with a 'cluster' argument, option for parallel processing, and 'reestimate' argument). Also, rstandard() now has a cluster argument. When using the cluster argument with rstandard() and rstudent(), the functions also compute cluster-level multivariate (internally or externally) standardized residuals. So, all of the tools are there for proper outlier diagnostics in 'rma.mv' models (i.e., one can check for outlying estimates and clusters).

What should I write in metafor to plot rstandard and rstudent values for each cluster separately.

Thanks in advance,

Roger :)

Roger Martineau, mv Ph.D.
Centre de recherche et de développement
sur le bovin laitier et le porc
Agriculture et agroalimentaire Canada/Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Téléphone/Telephone: 819-780-7319
Télécopieur/Facsimile: 819-564-5507
2000, Rue Collège / 2000, College Street
Sherbrooke (Québec)  J1M 0C8
Canada
roger.martineau at agr.gc.ca<mailto:roger.martineau at agr.gc.ca>