[R-meta] Weighted r values in a meta-analysis

Oliver Clark oliver.clark3 at stu.mmu.ac.uk
Mon Aug 14 17:48:45 CEST 2017

Dear Michael,

Thank you very much for your reply.

They did not specify this.  From their procedure it seems they weighted before Z-transforming:

'All of the calculated r values were weighted by sample size to ensure that studies with more participants were given stronger weight (Hunter et al., 1982). Subsequently, weighted r values were transformed to Fisher’s Z values. '

A couple of examples from their paper are:

N = 90

r=.16,rw =.21

r =.15,rw =.20

They also mention the use of Zero (citing Rosenthal (1991) and Max coded (citing Shery 2001) r values but give no details of the equations used.

They provide r and rw values for each DV in each study (total n of 170).  When I try to aggregate their rw values using the MAc agg function I get a few cases of r>1 which breaks escalc, which is also strange.

I’ve perhaps given more information than required, but sticking to the original question, does this weighting of r values seem like standard practice?  Multiplying by n-3 for each r seems sensible but I don’t know what the denominator would be - using the mean of all ns doesn’t reproduce their values)

Best wishes,

Oliver