[R-meta] Multivariate meta-analysis with unknown covariances?

Viechtbauer Wolfgang (SP) wolfgang.viechtbauer at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Thu Aug 10 21:23:50 CEST 2017

Indeed, unknown correlations seems to be a 'hot topic' right now.

Let me first clarify that metafor cannot somehow magically solve the problem with missing covariances. One has to do some extra work to deal with this issue. The post that Isabel refers to (https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2015q2/023727.html) discusses some possibilities. A defensible strategy is to:

1) Guestimate the unknown correlations and then compute approximate covariances between the effect size estimates.
2) Fit a proper multivariate model.
3) Follow things up with a cluster-robust approach.

This is basically what James just described in his post and on his blog (and what Emily refers to):

http://jepusto.github.io/imputing-covariance-matrices-for-multi-variate-meta-analysis

And so, yes, I think you can conduct a multivariate meta-analysis based on the data set described.