[R-sig-mediawiki] R-News article

Alex Brown alex at transitive.com
Wed Sep 27 15:33:24 CEST 2006

I am using it for data presentation and exploration in an intranet
setting, mostly for use by engineers.

It is being used in a number of different ways:

1) Our company intranet includes various database backed systems for
tracking bugs, regression testing, automated performance testing.  I
wish to extract and present this data in a variety of ways which are
not available through the standard company interfaces, which tend to
be simplistic, or tailored for general use.  For instance, take our
run-times of the benchmarks that make up specCpu2000 over the last 6
months, derive the spec score, and plot - to discover anomalies and
regressions.

Using the Rform interface additional detail can be shown as required,
and the page can update to take account of new data.

The reasonably strong database and system() support in R is useful
here, and of course the graphs are of presentation quality.

2) In addition, in exploring and enhancing the performance of our
product (an operating system component), we will also temporarily
generate large amounts of heterogeneous data - including times, event
counts, etc.

The combination of R and wiki enables engineers to construct report-
style pages which use in-line or database stored data, extract
significant information and present it in an attractive and simple
form.  It can be accessed and enhanced from anyone's desk.
Previously data was normally stored in csv files in ad-hoc locations,
and and calculations would be done in excel, perl or some other tool
- typically meaning it is only accessible to it's owner.

I hope this is of use to you.

-Alex