[R-SIG-Mac] Updating packages from RStudio

Gábor Csárdi c@@rd|@g@bor @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Feb 4 12:19:56 CET 2026


Since car was released not so long ago, I am fairly sure that this is
an issue with the CRAN metadata, similar to what I (and many others)
see for newly released packages:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2026-February/015335.html

I wrote some code to show the packages for which the metadata is inconsistent:
https://gist.github.com/gaborcsardi/797472e42b43d2f938f852614f2a170f
(Update the URL for a different arch or R version.)
Seems like car should be fine now, assuming this already propagated to
your mirror.

FWIW AFAIR all RStudio does is calling install.packages() so if you
see a 404 there, it is unlikely that it is a problem with RStudio.
Nevertheless I agree that it is always a good idea to test your code
in a plain R console.

On Tue, Feb 3, 2026 at 10:40 PM Manuel Spínola <mspinola10 using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> When I try to update packages from RStudio using the menu on macOS, some
> packages fail to install.
>
> I can fix the issue by reinstalling them manually from source, for example:
>
> install.packages("car", type = "source")
> I am wondering whether this is a known macOS/RStudio issue (e.g., related
> to binary vs source packages), and whether there is a recommended
> workaround or setting.
>
> R version 4.5.2 (2025-10-31) -- "[Not] Part in a Rumble"
> Platform: aarch64-apple-darwin20
>
> Manuel
>
> --
> *Manuel Spínola, Ph.D.*
> Instituto Internacional en Conservación y Manejo de Vida Silvestre
> Universidad Nacional
> Apartado 1350-3000
> Heredia
> COSTA RICA
> mspinola using una.cr <mspinola using una.ac.cr>
> mspinola10 using gmail.com
> Teléfono: (506) 8706 - 4662
> Sitio web institucional: ICOMVIS
> <http://www.icomvis.una.ac.cr/index.php/manuel>
> Sitio web personal: Sitio personal <https://mspinola-sitioweb.netlify.app>
> Blog sobre Ciencia de Datos: Blog de Ciencia de Datos
> <https://mspinola-ciencia-de-datos.netlify.app>
>
>         [[alternative HTML version deleted]]
>
> _______________________________________________
> R-SIG-Mac mailing list
> R-SIG-Mac using r-project.org
> https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-mac



More information about the R-SIG-Mac mailing list