[R-SIG-Mac] Failed tests on M1mac
Jordan Martinetti
jord@n @end|ng |rom jord@nm@rt|nett|@com
Sat Nov 22 23:24:22 CET 2025
I did not say it was a macOS issue And did not mean to imply it, although I do not think I did. I was meaning to simple ask for methods or resources to assist with testing on Mac as I do not have a Mac to test my package on. I believe the other people provided what I needed: Resources and suggestions for testing my package on a Mac operating system to ensure it works before uploading to CRAN and I thank you Marc and Duncan.
________________________________
From: R-SIG-Mac <r-sig-mac-bounces using r-project.org> on behalf of Prof Brian Ripley via R-SIG-Mac <r-sig-mac using r-project.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2025 2:24:11 PM
To: Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz using me.com>; Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com>
Cc: R-SIG-Mac using r-project.org <R-SIG-Mac using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Failed tests on M1mac
On 22/11/2025 02:37, Marc Schwartz via R-SIG-Mac wrote:
> On Nov 21, 2025, at 9:21 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2025-11-21 6:53 p.m., Jordan Martinetti wrote:
>>> Hello I am a new CRAN author working on Windows. I tested my package locally and it worked great and passed CRAN testing when I initially uploaded. Yesterday I got an email saying it failed on M1mac. I don't have a mac machine to do testing on so i'm unsure how I can test my package before uploading to CRAN and hoping it passes.
>>> While I don't expect a significant portion of users of my package to work on mac, I would rather not skip mac testing and try to work on as many platforms as possible. How can I test my package on mac, without owning a mac, so that I know it will work before uploading to CRAN?
You do not have the option to exclude Mac users under the CRAN policy,
and this is in any case not a Mac issue.
>> If you use Github actions for testing, you can choose a Mac machine to run on. I don't know what versions of macOS they have available.
>>
>> Here are some lines from the YAML file for one of my packages that is tested on Windows, Ubuntu and macOS:
>>
>> R-CMD-check:
>> runs-on: ${{ matrix.config.os }}
>>
>> name: ${{ matrix.config.os }} (${{ matrix.config.r }})
>>
>> strategy:
>> fail-fast: false
>> matrix:
>> config:
>> - {os: windows-latest, r: 'release'}
>> - {os: windows-latest, r: 'devel'}
>> - {os: ubuntu-latest, r: 'devel', http-user-agent: 'release'}
>> - {os: macos-latest, r: 'devel'}
>>
>> These were originally based on the code from the `usethis` package; I don't know how far it has diverged by now.
>>
>> If you're not using Github, Gitlab or something similar, you should.
>>
>> Duncan
>
>
> Hi,
>
> In addition to Duncan's suggestion, you can use the macOS Builder service here:
>
> https://mac.r-project.org/macbuilder/submit.html
>
> It generally parallels the winbuilder site (https://win-builder.r-project.org/) for the testing of CRAN packages on Apple silicon.
>
> It is listed in the Re-submission section in the CRAN Policy:
>
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html#Re_002dsubmission
That would be a good answer if this were a macOS issue, but the OP
jumped to that conclusion and it was not reported to him as such.
This appears to be about package sodaR and the additional issue showing
for thqt is about a date-time (and it passes on other macOS platforms).
That suggests that it depends on time zone or locale -- the OP uses a
test-obfuscation suite but digging into the package sources shows that
this is attempting to work with
"09/14/2012 10:38:01 PM"
The help for posixify has no examples and no description of its expected
inputs. It claims the result is 'a POSIX date', which is false (it
appears to be a date-time of class "POSIXct").
That is both a country-specific format and locale-dependent, as pointed
out in the help for strptime. In this case locale-specific conversions
depend not just on the locale name but also the OS version -- macOS has
changed its locale definitions since version 11 used for the CRAN macOS
checks (and AFAIK for mac-builder).
If you really need to convert that benighted format more portably, you
could try setting a C locale by e.g.
Sys.setlocale("LC_TIME", "C")
The POSIX standard mandates AM/PM strings in the C locale but OSes do
not necessarily pay close attention to such standards.
--
Brian D. Ripley, ripleybd using icloud.com
Emeritus Professor of Applied Statistics, University of Oxford
_______________________________________________
R-SIG-Mac mailing list
R-SIG-Mac using r-project.org
https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-mac
[[alternative HTML version deleted]]
More information about the R-SIG-Mac
mailing list