[R-SIG-Mac] Some M3 upgrade notes

Mon May 20 12:06:22 CEST 2024

I've got a new M3 Macbook Air.  My previous laptop was Intel based, so
there were a few issues with the update.  I wanted to leave some notes
here in case anyone else has these problems.

1.  The notes in the Installation and Administration guide suggest using

   FFLAGS="-g -O2 -mmacos-version-min=11.0"
   FCFLAGS="-g -O2 -mmacos-version-min=11.0"

in the config.site file.  That causes an error; the last option needs to
be "-mmacosx-version-min=11.0", or it can be left out completely.

2.  The Xcode command line tools that I installed on the Intel Mac
conflict somehow with the new ones installed by

   xcode-select --install

I deleted /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools and reinstalled them.

3.  Simon's script that is installed by

   source("https://mac.R-project.org/bin/install.R")

doesn't report permission errors.  For me it worked at first, but then
at some point (not sure when) it started failing to be able to create
directories to hold the libs it was installing, but its output still
looked like it was working. Running R under sudo fixed this.  Changing
ownership as suggested in the Installation and Admin manual section
C.3.1 should also have worked, but I didn't notice that until later.

Duncan Murdoch