[R-SIG-Mac] procedure to ship libomp.dylib run-time with package

Kasper Daniel Hansen k@@perd@n|e|h@n@en @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jun 25 17:34:42 CEST 2024

If you read the next couple of sentences on that page, it says

The following are links to libomp OpenMP run-time built from official LLVM
release sources using Xcode compilers. They are signed and support macOS
10.13 (High Sierra) and higher. All tar-balls contain the system tree
usr/local/lib and usr/local/include so the recommended installation is to
type in Terminal:

    curl -O
https://mac.r-project.org/openmp/openmp-14.0.6-darwin20-Release.tar.gz
    sudo tar fvxz openmp-14.0.6-darwin20-Release.tar.gz -C /

I think that is pretty clear? Note the -C / as part of the last line, that
tells tar where to put it on the system.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2024 at 8:20 AM Sparapani, Rodney via R-SIG-Mac <
r-sig-mac using r-project.org> wrote:

> Hi Tim:
>
> /usr/local/lib it seems.  See the following page
> https://mac.r-project.org/openmp/
>
> --
> Rodney Sparapani, Associate Professor of Biostatistics, He/Him/His
> Vice President, Wisconsin Chapter of the American Statistical Association
> Institute for Health and Equity, Division of Biostatistics
> Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee Campus
>
> If this is outside of working hours, then please respond when convenient.
>
> From: R-SIG-Mac <r-sig-mac-bounces using r-project.org> on behalf of Timothy
> Bates <tim.bates using ed.ac.uk>
> Date: Monday, June 24, 2024 at 4:00 PM
> To: R list <R-SIG-Mac using r-project.org>
> Subject: [R-SIG-Mac] procedure to ship libomp.dylib run-time with package
> ATTENTION: This email originated from a sender outside of MCW. Use caution
> when clicking on links or opening attachments.
> ________________________________
>
> At
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://mac.r-project.org/openmp/__;!!H8mHWRdzp34!4HZ0uFxJQ121gF_TnX99OuMlgIXM600pq8wCbWruoLsdLTtaFgRB5_gMopCtxD0N9M4tUOO-7hBGADHx1sk$
> <
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mac.r-project.org/openmp/__;!!H8mHWRdzp34!4HZ0uFxJQ121gF_TnX99OuMlgIXM600pq8wCbWruoLsdLTtaFgRB5_gMopCtxD0N9M4tUOO-7hBGADHx1sk$>
> it  says
> "any package you compile against libomp.dylib will need that run-time so
> you have to ship it with your package or have users install it”
>
> Are there  any  instructions on what to do/where to put libomp.dylib so it
> will be found?
>
> I’ve compiled a package (OpenMx) in which OpenMP is working locally but
> other users get the error:
>
> require(OpenMx)
> Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘OpenMx’ in dyn.load(file,
> DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
>  unable to load shared object
> '/Users/***/Library/R/x86_64/4.4/library/OpenMx/libs/OpenMx.so':
>
> dlopen(/Users/***/Library/R/x86_64/4.4/library/OpenMx/libs/OpenMx.so,
> 0x0006): Library not loaded:
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-x86_64/Resources/lib/libomp.dylib
>

> The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland,
> with registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th’ ann an
> Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.

Best,
Kasper