[R-SIG-Mac] Cross compilation and linking without -undefined

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Wed Jan 3 08:11:53 CET 2024

This is just a default.  AFAICS it is set in DYLIB_LDFLAGS and you can
set that as you wish - it is documented in config.site.

That cross-compilation cannot test-load is a major reason not to use it
and why support for packages was downplayed on Windows.

On 02/01/2024 19:21, Jeroen Ooms wrote:
> R on MacOS defaults to linking with "-undefined dynamic_lookup" when
> building packages, which suppresses linking errors due to undefined
> symbols. Undefined symbols often indicate that the package has omitted
> a required library in PKG_LIBS, or that the architecture of the static
> lib does not match the target. When this happens, CMD INSTALL usually
> fails to load the package dylib in the subsequent "test-load" step,
> unless the undefined symbols are already preloaded in the process via
> base R (e.g. zlib, iconv, etc) in which case it goes unnoticed.
>
> I was wondering what is the benefit of suppressing linking errors this
> way? Afaik R does not do this on other platforms. A failure at the
> "test-load" step gives a cryptic error indicating only the mangled
> name of the first undefined symbol. The linker can provide much nicer
> error messages, detailing the names and locations of undefined
> symbols.

It may, but it often does not.  Frequently test-loading shows issues in
complex C++-using packages: you mention 'arrow' and that is a current
(and frequent) failure on Linux.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk