[R-SIG-Mac] Build / source of libRblas.vecLib.dylib

Colin Rundel runde| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Oct 31 17:08:21 CET 2023

The short version of the question - does anyone know what build process is used to generate the libRblas.vecLib.dylib that is included in /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.3-arm64/Resources/lib by R-4.3.1-arm64.pkg? I have not been able to find any direct references in the R source files or the build scripts on svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/ <http://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/>.

The longer version with context - I was recently interested in experimenting with the Accelerate framework / vecLib. Using CRAN's binary pkg installer libRblas.vecLib.dylib is provided and it is straightforward to change the libRblas.dylib symlink and get everything working.

However, I've typically used homebrew's formula distribution to install R on my systems which compiles R from source. The maintainers have currently opted to compile and directly link to openblas which prevents the swapping of blas engines via changing symlinks. Changing back to configuring / compiling with --enable-BLAS-shlib is easy enough but since Apple has now changed how framework dylibs are accessed it seems like something along the lines of libRblas.vecLib.dylib is needed, I just can't for the life of me figure out how to create it / where it comes from at the moment. An additional wrinkle is that for homerbrew fomulae everything must be compiled from source so the dylib can't just be bundled or downloaded.

Thanks,
-Colin