[R-SIG-Mac] Serious problem with R on macOS

John Helly he||yj @end|ng |rom uc@d@edu
Thu Jun 8 21:16:30 CEST 2023

Not clear why there is a symbolic link.  Maybe try using the fullpath
name to invoke R and see if that works.  It seems to me that
'sometimes', on OSX, some symbolic links behave oddly.  This may be
related to the Privacy/Security settings but I don't have any clear
understanding of what's going on.

J.

On 6/8/23 06:37, DePaolis, Fernando wrote:
> This is what I get after the current failure, where neither R.app nor the call from the command line work.
>

> fernandodepaolis using MacBook-Pro-2 ~ % ls -l `which R`
>
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  47 Jun  5 10:23 /usr/local/bin/R -> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R
>

> fernandodepaolis using MacBook-Pro-2 ~ % ls -l /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R
>
> -rwxrwxr-x  1 root  admin  9196 Apr 21 14:47 /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/bin/R
>

> which is identical to what I got when it was working fine a couple of days ago.
>
> Thank you
>

> Fernando DePaolis, Ph.D.
> Dean of Academic Operations & Integration
> Associate Professor
> Middlebury Institute of International Studies<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.middlebury.edu/institute__;!!Mih3wA!Fr3HvZOZi4Vn9PoE48tKxAfj3AtOpcj4qLfq1EJ9yNCh3wNtCoPAjKvY7X98gkORFUN5nZHSXmGRARZ26qcicJyf$ > at Monterey
> [Sent from Outlook for Mac �MacBook Pro]
> My working hours (US Pacific time zone) may not be your working hours. Please do not feel obligated to respond outside your normal work hours, unless otherwise indicated.
>
> From: DePaolis, Fernando <fdepaolis using middlebury.edu>
> Date: Tuesday, June 6, 2023 at 10:20 AM
> To: peter dalgaard <pdalgd using gmail.com>
> Cc: Calboli Federico (LUKE) <federico.calboli using luke.fi>, r-sig-mac using r-project.org <r-sig-mac using r-project.org>
> Subject: Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Serious problem with R on macOS
> Thank you!! I will do that.
>
> PS: No, no additional or different scrubbers/antivirus/etc have been added.
>

> Fernando DePaolis, Ph.D.
> Dean of Academic Operations & Integration
> Associate Professor
> Middlebury Institute of International Studies<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.middlebury.edu/institute__;!!Mih3wA!Fr3HvZOZi4Vn9PoE48tKxAfj3AtOpcj4qLfq1EJ9yNCh3wNtCoPAjKvY7X98gkORFUN5nZHSXmGRARZ26qcicJyf$ > at Monterey
> [Sent from Outlook for Mac �MacBook Pro]
> My working hours (US Pacific time zone) may not be your working hours. Please do not feel obligated to respond outside your normal work hours, unless otherwise indicated.
>
> From: peter dalgaard <pdalgd using gmail.com>
> Date: Tuesday, June 6, 2023 at 9:50 AM
> To: DePaolis, Fernando <fdepaolis using middlebury.edu>
> Cc: Calboli Federico (LUKE) <federico.calboli using luke.fi>, r-sig-mac using r-project.org <r-sig-mac using r-project.org>
> Subject: Re: [R-SIG-Mac] Serious problem with R on macOS
> [You don't often get email from pdalgd using gmail.com. Learn why this is important at https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification__;!!Mih3wA!Fr3HvZOZi4Vn9PoE48tKxAfj3AtOpcj4qLfq1EJ9yNCh3wNtCoPAjKvY7X98gkORFUN5nZHSXmGRARZ26tXIOdrG$  ]
>
> Hum...

> [...]

John Helly / San Diego Supercomputer Center / Scripps Institution of Oceanography
https://www.sdsc.edu/~hellyj / 808 205 9882 / 760 8408660