[R-SIG-Mac] Warnings installing from source

Göran Broström gb @end|ng |rom eh@r@@e
Mon Jan 9 11:57:55 CET 2023

When running

R CMD INSTALL xxx.tar.gz

I get a lot of warnings, the first being

ld: warning: -undefined dynamic_lookup may not work with chained fixups

followed by several of the type

ld: warning: could not create compact unwind for _yyy_: registers 72 and
73 not saved contiguously in frame

where 'yyy' stands for names of fortran functions/subroutines in the
package xxx.

I have installed the usual tools, including gfortran, from
https://mac.r-project.org/tools/

The C compiler is clang (14.0.0), for reasons I have forgotten.

However, the package loads an runs as usual(?), so I wonder what I
should do about it? Nothing?  But what do the warnings mean?

Thanks, Göran

PS. No warnings on Ubuntu.

 > sessionInfo()
R version 4.2.2 (2022-10-31)
Platform: aarch64-apple-darwin20 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Ventura 13.0.1

Matrix products: default
BLAS:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2-arm64/Resources/lib/libRblas.0.dylib
LAPACK:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2-arm64/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib

locale:
[1] sv_SE.UTF-8/sv_SE.UTF-8/sv_SE.UTF-8/C/sv_SE.UTF-8/sv_SE.UTF-8

attached base packages:

[1] compiler_4.2.2