[R-SIG-Mac] making rattle run

Carl Witthoft c@r| @end|ng |rom w|ttho|t@com
Tue Feb 28 17:38:55 CET 2023

I tried installing on my system  - Intel iMac  OS 11.7.2  .

I followed a bunch of instructions from the togaware site, even playing
with 'brew' to install stuff.
As stated by folks below,  rattle 5.5.1 still tries to get RGtk2
rolling.  I also found that attempts to load the RGtk2 library as
installed from togaware leads to inconsistent responses:

[ and notice also the apparent attempt of the 4.2 directory to reference
a nonexistent 4.1 directory!  WTF???   ]

Rgames> library(RGtk2)
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
   unable to load shared object
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2/Resources/library/RGtk2/libs/RGtk2.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2/Resources/library/RGtk2/libs/RGtk2.so,
6): Library not loaded:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.1/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
   Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.2/Resources/library/RGtk2/libs/RGtk2.so
   Reason: image not found
Learn more about GTK+ at http://www.gtk.org
If the package still does not load, please ensure that GTK+ is installed
and that it is on your PATH environment variable
IN ANY CASE, RESTART R BEFORE TRYING TO LOAD THE PACKAGE AGAIN
Warning message:
Failed to load RGtk2 dynamic library, attempting to install it.
Rgames> library(RGtk2)

# no error or response from this second try

And then if I try to start rattle up:

Rgames> rattle()
Error in .C("R_gtkInit", length(args), x = args, success = logical(1),  :
   "R_gtkInit" not available for .C() for package "RGtk2"

I spent rather too much time reading thru the help and support pages at
togaware.com ; my conclusion is that rattle is abandonware.  Those pages
clearly haven't been updated in over 5 years.  'brew' commands are
deprecated, for example.

--
Carl Witthoft
personal: carl using witthoft.com