[R-SIG-Mac] arm downloads appear broken

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Mon Feb 27 09:25:38 CET 2023

On 27/02/2023 08:09, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> Your subject line is alarmist -- you only provide any evidence for 1 out
> of > 19000 CRAN packages (and not R itself).
>
> Package RGtk2 was archived in 2021.  The current rattle (5.5.1) does not
> depend on it.  A direct download is available from rattle's CRAN landing
> page.  You have not told us what version of rattle you downloaded nor
> from where.
>
> For me just now R 4.2.2 successfully downloaded
>
> trying URL
> 'https://cran.wu.ac.at/bin/macosx/big-sur-arm64/contrib/4.2/rattle_5.5.1.tgz'

I should have said that rattle does not declare a *strict* dependency on
RGtk2.  When I try to run rattle() I see

 > rattle()
Error in rattle() :
The RGtk2 package is not available but is required.
Please install the package using, for example:

   install.packages("RGtk2")

which would have failed.

Maybe you have some non-CRAN version of RGtk2 installed?

rattle's DESCRIPTION does say

   Note that RGtk2 and cairoDevice have been archived on CRAN.
   See <https://rattle.togaware.com> for installation instructions.

If you followed that, it would be something to take up with the 'rattle'
maintainer.

> On 27/02/2023 04:32, Keith Bierman wrote:
>> I've tried several (4.2 branches.pkg, R-GUI8191 dmg .... R installs fine,
>> but attempts to the load rattle fail. If I missed some obvious

>> configuration switch, feel free to point me at the FM! ;>
>> Seems to me that the downloads marked arm64 should only suck in
>> arm64-compatible dependencies..
>>
>> . library(rattle)
>> Rattle: A free graphical interface for data science with R.
>> Version 5.5.1 Copyright (c) 2006-2021 Togaware Pty Ltd.
>> Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.
>>> rattle()
>> Error in library.dynam("RGtk2", pkgname, libname) :
>>    shared object ‘RGtk2.so’ not found
>> Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified
>>
>> Need GTK+ ? (Restart R after installing)
>>
>> 1: Install GTK+
>> 2: Do not install GTK+
>>
>> Selection: 1
>> trying URL 'http://r.research.att.com/libs/GTK_2.24.17-X11.pkg'''
>>
>> Which consistently seems to load the *INTEL* version of GTK, so of course
>> it installs, but fails to run, and tries to install again. Loop forever.
>>
>>> From the installer:
>>
>> Requirements:
>>
>> - Mac OS X 10.6 (Leopard) or higher, Intel 64-bit Mac
>>

>> I*t supports Intel 64-bit Macs only.* All files will be installed in
>>
>> */Library/Frameworks/GTK+.framework/Versions/2.24.X11*
>>
>> Keith Bierman
>> khbkhb using gmail.com
>> 303 997 2749 <http://voice.google.com/calls?a=nc,%2B13039972749>
>>
>>     [[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk