[R-SIG-Mac] Cannot open PDF Vignettes on Ventura

Tue Feb 7 01:28:08 CET 2023

On 06/02/2023 6:01 p.m., Kevin Thorpe wrote:
> When I try to open a PDF vignette (say a vignette from the survival package)from the help system in R it does not open Preview. I cannot actually open any PDF vignettes. All I get is a finder window with the error I previously described. It asks me to select an appropriate viewer. Selecting Preview opens nothing and more errors are thrown to the Console. I could send you and Duncan screenshots off-list, since I know that theses lists are picky about attachments.
>
> The steps I take are:
>
> 1. Open the R app.
> 2. Start the Help system.
> 3. Navigate to the survival package vignettes.
> 4. Click the PDF link for the The survival package
>
> Then the errors happen.
>
> I will send a screenshot of the result off list.
>
> Kevin

I don't have Ventura installed (I'm still on Monterey 12.6.3), and
following the procedure you describe I get similar results.

On the other hand, if I choose Help | Vignettes I get a preview
in the R.app vignette window, then if I double click on it, it opens in
Acrobat reader (which is the default PDF viewer on my system).

Duncan