[R-SIG-Mac] M1+ R package test failures (local and Mac Builder)

Sabanes Bove, Daniel d@n|e|@@@b@ne@_bove @end|ng |rom roche@com
Sun Aug 6 21:11:15 CEST 2023

Dear Simon,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. My question is precisely how I can
reproduce the CRAN test results (which all pass) for the Mac build of mmrm
0.2.2.
I can't with Macbuilder, and I can't locally.

My understanding from reading the Writing R extensions section is that
there might well be problems when using different compilers for R itself
and the R packages for compilation on Mac. This is the situation I have on
Macbuilder and locally, but also on CRAN. I am not sure though it would be
worthwhile to try debug the test failures on Macbuilder and locally, when
all tests pass on CRAN, and on Windows and Linux platforms.

Any additional tips would be appreciated,

best regards
Daniel

On Wed, Jul 26, 2023 at 11:56 PM Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek using r-project.org>
wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> I'm not sure I understand your question. The package mmrm 0.2.2 fails its
> tests for me as well. If you can reproduce the problem locally (as you
> indicated), then that's good as you should be in the position to fix it.
>
> Cheers,
> Simon
>

> > On 26/07/2023, at 1:50 AM, Sabanes Bove, Daniel via R-SIG-Mac <
> r-sig-mac using r-project.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi R using Mac developers,
> >
> > I switched yesterday to a new M2 MacBook, coming from a 3+ year old Intel
> > MacBook.
> > The concrete problem is that my R package mmrm (including C++ and in
> > particular Eigen/TMB code) successfully compiles, but the tests fail,
> i.e.
> > the compiled and installed R package does not behave correctly.
> >
> > First I thought that this is just my local toolchain which is not yet
> > appropriately configured, but I tried to read more on that and got OpenMP
> > and gfortran and it should be ok.
> > So I thought ok, maybe I will try the Mac Builder website and find out in
> > which commit the R package broke.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the problem is that the Mac Builder does not help us
> > sufficiently here, because even the current CRAN release (0.2.2, where
> > tests based on CRAN binary pass fine locally and on CRAN) leads to test
> > failures on Mac Builder.
> >
> > I do see a few differences between the CRAN reported setup and the mac
> > Builder:
> > - CRAN is running under macOS Big Sur 11.6.7, while Mac Builder is
> running
> > under macOS Ventura 13.3.1 (same as my local machine)
> > - CRAN uses C++ compiler ‘Apple clang version 13.0.0
> (clang-1300.0.29.30)’
> > (and not 14.0.0 as used for the R compilation!) for the package build,
> > while Mac Builder uses ‘Apple clang version 14.0.3
> (clang-1403.0.22.14.1)’
> > (this is the same as on my local machine)
> >
> > At least Mac Builder and my local machine thus use a similar setup it
> > seems (even though M1 vs M2 difference exists)
> >
> > My question is: what are your tips on how to move forward here? How can
> we
> > set up the Apple clang version and maybe other build flags locally - as
> > well as on Mac Builder for the whole community - to really match the CRAN
> > configuration sufficiently well and thus allow for successful package
> > builds?
> >
> > Thanks all,
> > best regards
> > Daniel

*Dr. Daniel Sabanés Bové*
Senior Principal Data Scientist

F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
PD Data Sciences - Data Science Acceleration (DSX)
B. 663
CH-4070 Basel
Switzerland

Discover our products at go.roche.com/statistical-engineering (internal
page) and go.roche.com/statistical-engineering-presentation (public)
www.roche.com

*Confidentiality Note: *This message is intended only for the use of the
named recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or proprietary
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender and delete this message. Any unauthorized use of the information
contained in this message is prohibited.