[R-SIG-Mac] 'Default' macos (x86) download URL now gone?

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Mon Apr 24 08:28:21 CEST 2023

Dirk,

thanks - the problem is that there is not a single installer package (for several years now), so that URL is ambiguous. Whether the missing link is a good or bad depends on how it is used. I would argue that any link to that URL is inherently bad, because there is no way of knowing that the link works for a particular system - that's why I have originally removed it with the R 4.3.0 release. I have restored it now, making it point to the R 4.3.0 arm64 release since that is arguably the closest to a single "latest R". R releases have not been stored in /bin/macosx since 2015, so anyone using a link there is asking for trouble.

For any CI I would strongly recommend using the "last-success" links: https://mac.r-project.org/big-sur/last-success/ in particular the .xz versions are they are specifically designed to be used by CI (small download, fast and localized install).