[R-SIG-Mac] macOS Ventura (13) Preview App Drops Support for PS/EPS File Rendering

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Wed Oct 26 05:11:43 CEST 2022

Somehow you sent HTML only, and that renders oddly in Thunderbird.

Have you considered GhostScript?  That used to be my viewer of choice
for Postscript long ago.  I think TeXShop may be a wrapper.

My box has Photoshop as the default viewer for .eps and TeXShop for .ps.
  I almost never use Photoshop: it comes as part of Adobe's
Photographers Bundle.

Brian

On 26/10/2022 01:06, Marc Schwartz via R-SIG-Mac wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Having updated to macOS Ventura, I just became aware that Ventura's
> Preview app has dropped support for rendering PS and EPS files after all
> these years.
>
> Not clear on the rationale for this change, but there is an Apple
> Support article here on this:
>
>    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213250
>
> Apparently, one can still print these files by dragging and dropping
> them on to the printer queue, but you will need to find a different
> application, such as the TeXShop app, which is bundled in macTeX for
> free, or another option is the full Adobe Acrobat Pro application, if
> you have and pay for that.
>
> If you are so inclined, you can provide product feedback to Apple here:
>
>    https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc Schwartz

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk