[R-SIG-Mac] Problems in install some packages in R 4.2

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Wed May 11 07:56:03 CEST 2022

Peter,

I agree that the current behavior is not very helpful for the majority of users. Personally, I'd change the default "no" so that users that don't know or care what it entails can still get the package installed. Note that having a compiler may not be enough, since there are often library dependencies, so compiling from sources should really be attempted only by developers that do it deliberately. The only argument I see for using the "both" default is for cases where the package binary doesn't exist, but that is another story as the user has no choice there.

PS: version mismatches are in principle expected due to package sources being released before binaries, but should be generally rare. However, there is currently an unusual back-log of package builds for R 4.2.0 on the high-sierra x86_64 system which should hopefully clear by tomorrow.