[R-SIG-Mac] Using cairo on arm64 macOS

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Fri Mar 18 00:18:23 CET 2022

Jan,

thanks. Indeed, the build VM had an issue in the cairo library installation thus the capability was not compiled. I have fixed the issue by doing a full re-build of the library recipes so please get the latest build from
https://mac.R-project.org/
and let me know if it works for you (I noticed another issue with binary versioning where Darwin and macOS versions were swapped which is now also fixed). If that resolves the issue, I will re-build the 4.1.3 release and publish the new version.

Thanks,
Simon

> [...]
> Jan
>
> st 16. 3. 2022 v 16:18 odesílatel Jean Thioulouse <
> jean.thioulouse using univ-lyon1.fr> napsal:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> No problem with cairo here. I have a MacBook M1 with plain R install and I
>> can use svg, cairo_pdf and cairo_ps.
>> Maybe try to re-install R...
>>
>>> capabilities()
>>       jpeg         png        tiff       tcltk         X11        aqua
>>       TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE
>>   http/ftp     sockets      libxml        fifo      cledit       iconv
>>       TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE
>>        NLS       Rprof     profmem       cairo         ICU long.double
>>       TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE       FALSE
>>    libcurl
>>       TRUE
>>> sessionInfo()
>> R version 4.1.2 (2021-11-01)
>> Platform: aarch64-apple-darwin20 (64-bit)
>> Running under: macOS Monterey 12.2.1
>>
>> Matrix products: default
>> BLAS:
>> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.1-arm64/Resources/lib/libRblas.0.dylib
>> LAPACK:
>> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.1-arm64/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib
>>
>> Random number generation:
>> RNG:     Mersenne-Twister
>> Normal:  Inversion
>> Sample:  Rounding
>>
>> locale:
>> [1] fr_FR.UTF-8/fr_FR.UTF-8/fr_FR.UTF-8/C/fr_FR.UTF-8/fr_FR.UTF-8
>>
>> attached base packages:

>> [1] compiler_4.1.2 tools_4.1.2
>>>

>>> Le 16 mars 2022 à 14:41, Jan Netík <netikja using gmail.com> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is a repost of a topic which I have accidentally posted on r-devel
>> mailing list:
>>>
>>> first, let me appreciate the efforts around "Apple Silicone" builds of
>> R, works like a charm! However, I have found recently that this build does
>> not have cairo in capabilities() and in turn I cannot use cairo_pdf device.
>> Intel build has cairo readily available, but M1 does not. I have done
>> various attempts on installing cairo using brew or
>> install.package("Cairo"); maybe the most preferable way is to follow
>> https://mac.r-project.org/bin/, but that also failed stating
>> "architecture aarch64 is not supported on os darwin20, only available
>> architectures: x86_64arm64". I have also tried downloading cairo from
>> https://mac.r-project.org/bin/darwin20/arm64/ and copying it into
>> opt/R/arm64, but with no success... Nor current devel R worked for me in
>> that issue.
>>>
>>> I think that I overlooked something, maybe around installing cairo to
>> opts/R/arm64 (is it really mere copying?). In that case I would edit the
>> docs and websites around the Apple Silicone build to better clarify what
>> needs to be done, but I may be that cairo is just not yet supported.
>>>
>>> Anyway many thank for looking into this!

>>> Jan