[R-SIG-Mac] Failure using geom_polygon with 2D facet_grid: 1D works

John Helly he||yj @end|ng |rom uc@d@edu
Mon Jun 13 01:04:52 CEST 2022

Aloha.

I'm trying to add a state map boundary to a 2D facet_grid in ggplot
which plots correlations against principal components (PC).

The 1D case works but I cannot discover what is causing the failure in
the 2D case.  It may be a limit to facet_grid in some way or, more
likely, something I don't understand.

ggplot(A0G, aes(Longitude, Latitude, color=Correlation)) +
+ geom_point(size=2*abs(A0G$Correlation)) +
+ geom_polygon(data = ca_df, aes(x=Longitude, y=Latitude, fill = NA,
color = "black")) +
+ facet_grid(rows=vars(A0G$Lag), cols=vars(A0G$PC))

Error in `$<-.data.frame`(`*tmp*`, "PANEL", value = c(4L, 3L, 5L, 10L,  :
   replacement has 11112 rows, data has 516

The issue seems related to the dimensions of the map df and the data df
but I can't grok the problem since it works in the 1D case.

 > dim(ca_df)
[1] 516   6

 > dim(A0G)
[1] 11112    18

Any suggestions welcome.  I'll just keep breaking the problem down if
there isn't anything obvious.

J.

--
John Helly, University of California, San Diego / San Diego Supercomputer Center / Scripps Institution of Oceanography / 760 840 8660 mobile /http://www.sdsc.edu/~hellyj