[R-SIG-Mac] configure: error: "liblzma library and headers are required"

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Sun Jun 12 01:29:01 CEST 2022

Marius,

most package systems (ours as well as Homebrew) don't use /usr/local on arm64 to not cause inadvertent conflicts with x86_64 binaries, so they must be explicitly added to flags. You failed to provide any details, but I suspect you didn't configure R to use whichever location is necessary for the dependencies since only /usr/local is searched by default. The flags used by CRAN can be seen at
https://svn.r-project.org/R-dev-web/trunk/QA/Simon/R4/conf.big-sur-arm64
which works for the binaries installed using

source("https://mac.R-project.org/bin/install.R")
install.libs("r-base-dev")

(Tcl/TK is not included, if needed you can install it from the release package).

Note that PATH has nothing to do with locating libraries by dyld - PATH is only used for executables so your $LOCAL/bin has to be on the PATH for pkg-config. Also note that mixing different systems is prone to cause chaos, because static and dynamic libraries have different precedence. So make sure you pick one choice (CRAN or Homebrew or Macport etc.) and stick with it.