[R-SIG-Mac] tcltk causes help() to hang in R 4.2.0 on macOS

John Fox j|ox @end|ng |rom mcm@@ter@c@
Fri Jun 10 03:12:41 CEST 2022

Dear Simon,

On 2022-06-09 8:19 p.m., Simon Urbanek wrote:
> John,
>
> as Tomas pointed out the problem was there, it was just not as easily triggered, because the help before 4.2.0 was not relying on a set of additional files (here KaTeX). Rcmdr does use tcltk, obviously, so it will always trigger the loop meshing issues.

Thanks for the additional explanation.

For what it's worth, I've tried the Rcmdr under R 4.2.0 patched and HTML
help works fine (as expected).

> I wonder whether we should re-visit native Tcl/Tk now, since if I recall the main reason it didn't work before were deadlocks in the event loop, so it's even possible that those could be fixed along similar lines...

You, of course, will know much better than I what's possible. I believe
that Brian Ripley told me some time ago that he was able to get R to
work on macOS with native Tcl/Tk. That would be desirable for several
reasons, including (I believe) integration of Tk menus with the Mac menu
bar and eliminating the necessity for users to install XQuartz.

Best,
  John