[R-SIG-Mac] dSYM files in M1Mac install?

Wed Jun 8 14:21:13 CEST 2022

The CRAN checks for rgl show that it has a huge libs directory.  E.g.

https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-release-macos-arm64/rgl-00check.html

contains this:

checking installed package size ... NOTE
   installed size is 25.6Mb
   sub-directories of 1Mb or more:
     doc 1.0Mb
     fonts 1.5Mb
     libs 20.0Mb

I don't have an M1 mac, but I used https://mac.r-project.org/macbuilder
to build, and found that the rgl.so file that gets installed is a
reasonable size (bigger than on my Intel Mac, but only 2.7M), but
there's also a subdir rgl.so.dSYM which is really large.  It contains a
file rgl.so.dSYM/Contents/Resources/DWARF/rgl.so which is about 17M.

I think that is debugging symbol information.  Is it necessary to
install it on the M1 Mac?  If not, is there something in rgl's
configuration that I should change, or is it part of the system
configuration on CRAN and macbuilder?

Duncan Murdoch