[R-SIG-Mac] Xquartz started crashing today

Richard M. Heiberger rmh @end|ng |rom temp|e@edu
Fri Jun 3 04:51:46 CEST 2022

it makes R unresponsive according to the activity monitor.
The only repair I have found is to ForceQuit R from the Activity Monitor, and start  fresh R session.
I downloaded a fresh copy of XQuartz-2.8.1.dmg and have the same negative results.
I downloaded a fresh R from https://mac.r-project.org
R version 4.2.0 Patched (2022-06-02 r82444) -- "Vigorous Calisthenics"
Copyright (C) 2022 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: aarch64-apple-darwin20 (64-bit)

> version
               _
platform       aarch64-apple-darwin20
arch           aarch64
os             darwin20
system         aarch64, darwin20
status         Patched
major          4
minor          2.0
year           2022
month          06
day            02
svn rev        82444
language       R
version.string R version 4.2.0 Patched (2022-06-02 r82444)
nickname       Vigorous Calisthenics

I have MacOS 12.3 Monterey
MacBook Air (M1,2020)
Chip Apple M1
memory 16GB

The pdf() device works so I I can work, but casually plotting to the screen without explicitly
opening pdf() is not possible.