[R-SIG-Mac] strange segfault error in R from command-line on Mac laptop

David Winsemius dw|n@em|u@ @end|ng |rom comc@@t@net
Thu Sep 30 20:02:11 CEST 2021

On 9/29/21 11:17 AM, Jeffrey Rosenthal wrote:
> Hello. I often use R from the command-line (i.e. just typing "R")
> within the "Terminal" application on my MacBook Pro laptop.  And
> sometimes I get a sudden strange error "*** caught segfault ***
> address 0x10, cause 'memory not mapped'" (after which R allows me to
> abort/exit/etc, but not to continue).  It occurs when using the arrow
> or delete keys (perhaps related to readline?).  After much testing, I
> have found a very simple reproducible minimal example. Namely, if I
> start R from the command line, and then type "plot(0)", and then type
> any character (e.g. "a") and then the delete key, then it always
> triggers this error.  Does this error occur for anyone else?  Any
> ideas how to fix it?

I would reinstall XQuartz. The `plot(0)` command changes the focus from
R to XQuartz, so the processing of the typed letter "a" is being handled
by that system function rather than by R. On my 3 year-old MacAir
running R 4.1.0 typing a letter with the system focus on a plot window
produces a mild error tone, as does typing the delete key. (No crash
after returning focus to the R process by mouse-clicking in the Terminal
window.

--

David