[R-SIG-Mac] strange segfault error in R from command-line on Mac laptop

Jeffrey Rosenthal je|| @end|ng |rom m@th@toronto@edu
Wed Sep 29 20:17:02 CEST 2021

Hello.  I often use R from the command-line (i.e. just typing "R")
within the "Terminal" application on my MacBook Pro laptop.  And
sometimes I get a sudden strange error "*** caught segfault *** address
0x10, cause 'memory not mapped'" (after which R allows me to
abort/exit/etc, but not to continue).  It occurs when using the arrow or
delete keys (perhaps related to readline?).  After much testing, I have
found a very simple reproducible minimal example. Namely, if I start R
from the command line, and then type "plot(0)", and then type any
character (e.g. "a") and then the delete key, then it always triggers
this error.  Does this error occur for anyone else?  Any ideas how to
fix it?

I know that this problem is quite specific to my Mac laptop set-up; it
does not occur on my iMac nor on my friend's Mac.  On the other hand, I
did try upgrading R and that did not fix it.  My sessionInfo() output
follows.  I am *not* saving R history, nor setting R_SAVEHIST, and I do
*not* have any .Rhistory or .Rapp.history file in my directory.  Thank
you very much for any suggestions!

> sessionInfo()

R version 4.0.2 (2020-06-22)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin17.0 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Matrix products: default
BLAS:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/lib/libRblas.dylib
LAPACK:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib

locale:
[1] en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8/C/en_CA.UTF-8/en_CA.UTF-8

attached base packages:

[1] compiler_4.0.2