[R-SIG-Mac] Tcl/Tk issues in arm64 build of R 4.1.0

John Fox j|ox @end|ng |rom mcm@@ter@c@
Fri Sep 10 04:54:23 CEST 2021

Dear Philippe,

Thanks for getting back to me.
On 2021-09-09 10:42 p.m., Philippe GROSJEAN wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> The tcltk2 package on CRAN includes tablelist version 5.5. The latest
> development version on https://github.com/SciViews/tcltk2
> <https://github.com/SciViews/tcltk2> includes tablelist version 6.9. The
> last version of tcltk2 was not pushed to CRAN yet because many Tcl/Tk
> packages were updated to higher versions and not everything is
> completely tested today (I just recently got a Mac M1 machine for
> testing on this system).
>
> In the meantime, since I know you really want version 6.9 of tablelist,
> you can do remotes::install_github(“SciViews/tcltk2 using 25df401”), or
> inspect the code in tcltk2 to see how to include a pure-Tcl package and
> place it in Rcmdr (it weights roughly 1Mb).

I coincidentally found your development version of tcltk2 on GitHub and
installed it earlier this evening.

I may do as you suggest, and temporarily incorporate tablelist directly
in the Rcmdr package, or just wait until the newest version of tcltk2 is
sent to CRAN. In the long run, I think that it's more maintainable not
to duplicate in the Rcmdr resources that are provided by tcltk2.

Best,
  John