[R-SIG-Mac] .libPaths and library directory

Sun Sep 5 13:08:32 CEST 2021

On 05/09/2021 6:16 a.m., Adrian Dușa wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> My .libPaths for the user defined directory shows:
> "/Users/dusadrian/Library/R/x86_64/4.1/library"
>
> and indeed, the command install.packages() does install the packages in
> this location.
>
> However, when installing from the RGUI menu, using Packages & Data /
> Package installer,
> the installation directory is:
> "/Users/dusadrian/Library/R/4.1/library"

Neither of those is the default library location for a standard install
of R on a Mac.  The first one looks like it's the default value of
R_LIBS_USER.  Are you specifying the environment variable R_LIBS?  By
default, I think

   Sys.getenv("R_LIBS")

will give a blank.

Regarding the install from R.app (which I assume is what you mean by
RGUI), there is a selection of 4 locations:

  - At System Level (in R framework)
  - At User Level
  - In Other Location
  - As defined by .libPaths()