[R-SIG-Mac] Nightly build segfaults

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Wed Nov 17 08:17:06 CET 2021

On 16/11/2021 22:28, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
> This is Monterey:
> ❯ uname -a
> Darwin Gabors-MacBook-Pro-3.local 21.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 21.1.0:
> Wed Oct 13 17:33:01 PDT 2021; root:xnu-8019.41.5~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000
> arm64
>
> The R-devel build segfaults:
>
> ❯ curl -O https://mac.r-project.org/monterey/R-devel/arm64/R-devel.tar.gz
> ❯ sudo tar xzf R-devel.tar.gz -C /
> ❯ R -q --vanilla
> zsh: killed     R -q --vanilla

That is not a segfault, although they have been seen to cause this
behaviour.  It more often indicates a security issue: arm64 macOS is
prone to doing so with incremental rebuilds of R that it thinks have
been tampered with.

Try installing the .pkg.  (Downloading from mac.r-project.org is far too
slow at the moment for me to do so, but I recall past troubles with the
tarballs not seen with Installer packages.)

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk