[R-SIG-Mac] R / Rstudio and curl on Mac Mojave

Jeroen Ooms jeroenoom@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Nov 13 18:11:31 CET 2021

On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 6:01 PM Gábor Csárdi <csardi.gabor using gmail.com> wrote:

> The curl package does not use the command line curl program, it uses
> libcurl, the library. You can use curl::curl_version() to see the
> libcurl version that the curl package is using.
>
> But in any case, this is not a curl or libcurl bug, but a
> libressl/Mojave bug that Apple didn't fix, and probably won't fix
> because Mojave is not supported any more.
>
> You can fix it manually. You need to edit the /etc/ssl/cert.pem (make
> a backup copy first), and remove the cert that expired on Sep 30
> 14:01:15 2021 GMT. Its entry starts with ## Digital Signature Trust
> Co., until the end of the cert, the first -----END CERTIFICATE-----
> line. You probably need sudo or the root user to edit it.

What Gabor says works; an alternative solution is just to update the
entire CA bundle. I use the following script on old macs:

    sudo cp /etc/ssl/cert.pem /etc/ssl/cert.bak
    sudo curl -k https://curl.se/ca/cacert.pem -o /etc/ssl/cert.pem

This will update the CA bundle to the current one from Mozilla, for
details see: https://curl.se/docs/caextract.html