[R-SIG-Mac] R-4.0.5.pkg Bug Report

Yuri Broze yur|broze @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun May 9 01:15:02 CEST 2021

Hi folks,

Apologies if this bug has already been noticed, but I wanted to share just
in case it hasn't yet, and this was the best place I found.

The current CRAN-hosted MacOS installation package fails to correctly
create symbolic links to /usr/local/bin for machines with `uname -r`
release version of 20 or above. The faulty logic is in
R/R-fw.pkg/Scripts/postflight; lines 6-13:

if uname -r | grep '^1[5-9]' >/dev/null; then
    ## 15.0 and higher don't allow messing with /usr/bin
    ## so use /usr/local/bin instead
    if [ ! -e /usr/local/bin ]; then
    mkdir -p /usr/local/bin
    fi
    cd /usr/local/bin
fi

This seems to have resulted in some commotion on Stack Exchange and other
places around an inability to access `R` or `Rscript` from the commandline,
along with the usual hacky workarounds.

Hope this is helpful to bring to your attention!

Best,
Yuri

Yuri Broze
314.910.3152