[R-SIG-Mac] r-sig-mac maybe from r-project.org - "You can’t open the application “R” because this application is not supported on this Mac"

Lindsay Foreman 19038432 @end|ng |rom brooke@@@c@uk
Sat Jul 17 09:39:11 CEST 2021

To whom it may concern,

I am so sorry for being such a dunce.  I have been trying and trying to get the R App to work on my MacBook Air running Big Sur V11.4, and am just not making any progress.  It says that the package I have downloaded below should have all the elements I need including the R app GUI.  I get this error message "You can’t open the application “R” because this application is not supported on this Mac"., are you able to help please?

Your support is much appreciated.
Lindsay Foreman

R-4.1.0-arm64.pkg <https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/big-sur-arm64/base/R-4.1.0-arm64.pkg> (notarized and signed)
SHA1-hash: 7354c1b249cab9bafea6ae67c73563303a05fa17
(ca. 88MB)	R 4.1.0 binary for macOS 11 (Big Sur) and higher, Apple silicon arm64 build, signed and notarized package.
Contains R 4.1.0 framework, R.app GUI 1.76 for Apple silicon Macs (M1 and higher), Tcl/Tk 8.6.11 X11 libraries and Texinfo 6.7.
Important: this version does NOT work on older Intel-based Macs.
The above installer package will be misidentified by Apple Installer as Intel architecture although it contains no Intel code. This means you may be asked to install Rosetta 2 even though it is not required. This issue has been fixed in the packaging for future R versions, so if you don't want to install Rosetta 2 please use R-4.1-branch big-sur arm64 installer from mac.R-project.org <https://mac.r-project.org/>.
Note: the use of X11 (including tcltk) requires XQuartz <http://xquartz.macosforge.org/>. Always re-install XQuartz when upgrading your macOS to a new major version.

This release uses Xcode 12.4 and experimental GNU Fortran 11 arm64 fork. If you wish to compile R packages from sources, you may need to download GNU Fortran for arm64 from https://mac.R-project.org/libs-arm64 <https://mac.r-project.org/libs-arm64/>. Any external libraries and tools are expected to live in /opt/R/arm64 to not conflict with Intel-based software and this build will not use /usr/local to avoid such conflicts.