[R-SIG-Mac] R for macOS Big Sur

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Thu Jan 14 20:50:28 CET 2021

> On Jan 14, 2021, at 2:31 PM, Gregory Coats via R-SIG-Mac <r-sig-mac using r-project.org> wrote:
>
> The web site https://mac.r-project.org/ <https://mac.r-project.org/> specifically shows that as of Thu 2021-01-14 00:56
> 1. R compiled for Big Sur for Macs with the Intel CISC x86_64 chip is NOT available.
> 2. R complied for "high-sierra” for Macs with the Intel CISC x86_64 chip IS available.
> However, my Mac is running Big Sur OS, and my Mac is too new to be able to run the older High Sierra OS.
> Greg Coats
>> On Jan 14, 2021, at 2:10 PM, Jean Thioulouse <jean.thioulouse using univ-lyon1.fr> wrote:
>>
>> - On Intel Macs:
>>
>> R 4.0.3 binary is available for macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) and higher (including Big Sur)

Hi,

You are mis-reading that page.

With respect to Apple Silicon (M1/arm64), the *development* version of R 4.1.0, which is not yet released, and is a nightly, unstable, build, does not compile:

That version is not intended for production use.

At the top of the page, you will find the following:

The current, stable, release version of R, which is 4.0.3, works just fine on Intel based Macs running Bug Sur:

  https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/ <https://cran.r-project.org/bin/macosx/>

I am running that version on my Intel Mac, running Big Sur 11.1.

If you follow Prof. Ripley's updates on the list, regarding Apple Silicon specifically, you will see additional information, including CRAN package testing:

  https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2021-January/013870.html <https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2021-January/013870.html>

Marc Schwartz