[R-SIG-Mac] [External] Re: [External] Please test R 4.0.4 RC

Sat Feb 13 23:32:00 CET 2021

On 13/02/2021 4:54 p.m., Simon Urbanek wrote:
> As mentioned earlier, the issue is likely that your X11-auto-launch is not working. You can start X11 (=XQuartz) yourself and set DISPLAY=:0 as you would on any unix system or start X11 with X11(":0")
> [personally, I hate that auto-launch "feature" since it tries to start XQuartz even if you don't want it].

Thanks.  Here's another datum:  I did my last build of rgl with the beta
XQuartz installed.  I'm now back to 2.7.11 and I get this when I try to
start rgl:

 > library(rgl)
Error in dyn.load(dynlib) :
   unable to load shared object
'/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/rgl/libs/rgl.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/rgl/libs/rgl.so,
6): Library not loaded: /opt/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib
   Referenced from:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/rgl/libs/rgl.so
   Reason: Incompatible library version: rgl.so requires version 11.0.0
or later, but libX11.6.dylib provides version 10.0.0
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘rgl’:
  .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rgl', details:
   call: NULL
   error: 	Loading rgl's DLL failed.
	This build of rgl depends on XQuartz, which you can download from
xquartz.org.

So it appears they updated the version of libX11.6.dylib, and rgl is
asking for the wrong one.

Is there some way for me to request a particular version during my
build, or at least detect that the wrong version is installed?

Duncan Murdoch